Case Manager RN
Partnering for a stronger, healthier world.
At CommonSpirit Health, we believe in the healing power of humanity. We invite you to explore our specialty areas and pursue a career in humankindness.
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Department: Case Management
- Hours/Pay Period: 80
MercyOne Central Iowa operates four not-for-profit Catholic medical centers in Des Moines West Des Moines Newton and Centerville and two specialty hospitals – MercyOne Children’s Hospital in Des Moines and MercyOne Rehabilitation Hospital in Clive (965 beds total) – along with more than 20 additional facilities that house more than 50 primary care pediatric internal medicine and specialty clinics. Founded by the Sisters of Mercy in 1893 MercyOne Central Iowa has the longest continually operating hospital in Des Moines and is also one of the largest employers in the state with more than 7000 employees and a medical staff of more than 1000 physicians and allied health associates. MercyOne Central Iowa is a member of MercyOne which was founded in 1998 through a collaboration between CommonSpirit Health and Trinity Health – two of the country’s foremost not-for-profit Catholic health organizations. MercyOne has more than 20000 colleagues in Iowa and surrounding states.
- In collaboration with multidisciplinary team, evaluates patient referrals to develop individualized plan of care across the continuum of care
- Responsible for personalized education plan for patient and family
- Follows through with test results and plan of care with patient/family and other health care providers/services as directed by provider or established guidelines
- Acts as a liaison among the individual/family, community, provider and physician as well as other health care team members.
- Collaborates in developing, implementing and evaluating teaching/learning strategies for client/family in the hospital community.
- Provides clinical leadership by being a preceptor for visiting professionals, students and new graduates.
- Coordinates appropriate educational material/instructions for patients, families, medical staff and multidisciplinary personnel to accomplish patient care outcomes.
- Participates in planning and presentation of continuing education programs, seminars and meetings.
- Coordinates with the health care team to develop a mechanism to monitor patient outcomes and follows up on variances.
- Ensures collection and input of risk stratification data. Reports results to the health care team and participates in interpretation of data and formulation of action plan.
- Collaborates with patients/families/populations to coordinate community services and appropriate resources which meet the individual needs and goals.
- Serves on selected hospital, group practice and community-based committees..
- Identifies need for and participates in research projects relevant to specific patient population.
- Collaborates with Quality Management, Utilization Review, Information Technology Services, and other departments regarding data availability and reports.
- Is accountable for the implementation and communication of standards for patient care delivery appropriate to the specific patient population that meets professional and regulatory standards.
- Coordinates the health care team in development of clinical tools for optimal outcomes and reports findings.
- Coordinates all activities related to patients’ diagnostic testing, visits, and evaluations.
- Conducts phone calls or follow-up assessments as needed.
- Assess learning needs of patient and significant others. Teach patients about medications and procedures.
- Assesses, plans, coordinates, implements, educates and evaluates care of assigned patients.
- Assists physician in continuous assessment, planning, implementation and evaluation of care of patients of diverse ages during procedures.
- Administers medications, sedation, IVs, as ordered during procedure.
- Proficient with aseptic technique and assists physician with scrubbing during and after procedure.
- May apply manual pressure to puncture site to obtain hemostasis following procedure.
- Maintains all aspects of patient safety.
- Maintains readiness of equipment in procedure rooms. Acquires supplies needed for procedures and passes to physician or assistant maintaining sterile technique. Assists in maintaining inventory control.
- Obtains nursing histories, consent forms, and lab data on outpatients prior to procedure.
- Sets up trays for procedures using aseptic techniques.
- Prepares skin and drapes patient for procedure using aseptic technique.
- Post-procedure or post-testing follow-up with patients, schedule appropriate appointments.
- Observes and documents daily patient assessments.
- Retrieves & documents lab and test results and notifies physician of abnormal results.
- Evaluates and triages individual patients and physician/patient calls.
- Implements verbal and written orders according to standing orders or established protocols.
- Triages phone calls for physicians. Responds to questions according to standing orders, established protocols or direct physician input. Refers to appropriate resources. Documents accordingly.
- Communicates appropriate follow up information to referring physicians.
- Provides patient teaching and facilitates communication between physician, client, and other office or hospital personnel
- Provides medication teaching and assures patient has appropriate prescriptions.
- Coordinates discharge planning.
- Serves as liaison between hospital and office staff, physicians, and patients.
- Discusses research protocols with Research Department nurse as appropriate.
- Participates in professional development activities and maintains professional certifications.
- Participates in quality improvement plan.
- Assists physician with procedures in the office or hospital. May be required to travel to Des Moines area hospitals and to Outreach clinics.
- Assesses wounds and provides care as needed under the physician’s direction.
- Supervises other staff such as medical assistants, technicians, CNA’s, students during office visits and procedures.
- Assists with documentation of charges and turns in to Billing Department daily. Obtains waivers for medical necessity as defined by practice policy.
- Current Iowa registered nurse (RN) license.
- Bachelor’s degree in health-related field required or actively pursuing (BSN preferred).
- Demonstrates competency within a specialized area of clinical practice with 4 years experience in that specialty.
- Demonstrates success in positions of leadership.
starts with you.
Are you a career fit with our CommonSpirit Health culture? To understand how we are structured, we believe in some core philosophies with the following:
We will be stronger together, achieving excellence in all we do, collaborating across the fields and growing our collective knowledge.
We will let humankindness guide us as we treat every person with holistic, personalized care for the body, mind and spirit.
We will advance the science and art of nursing as innovative leaders who demonstrate the power of evidence-based, compassionate care. If you believe in working together with humankindness for all to advance the science and art of nursing - then you have found your career fit with us!
“Our hope is that you will always feel inspired, knowing you truly are the heart and soul of CommonSpirit.”– Kathleen D. Sanford, EVP, Chief Nursing Officer
Your Possible Career Path
This is a snapshot of your potential career path highlights the series of job positions that help you progress towards your goals and objectives. Ultimately, your career path depends on your career values and personal goals.
What makes a successful Case Manager RN at MercyOne Des Moines Medical Center?
Our Total Reward Offerings
At CommonSpirit Health, your Total Rewards package includes compensation, benefits, retirement, wellness, leave, and other programs. Please explore what we have to offer below.
Pay and Recognition
Map this location
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.Click Here >
No recently viewed jobs
You have no saved Jobs
Get tailored job recommendations based on your interests.Get Started