ITD Tech Infrastructure Systems Engineer
CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health. With more than 700 care sites across the U.S. & from clinics and hospitals to home-based care and virtual care services CommonSpirit is accessible to nearly one out of every four U.S. residents. Our world needs compassion like never before. Our communities need caring and our families need protection. With our combined resources CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy communities advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable and innovating how and where healing can happen both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
Job Summary / Purpose
The System Engineer job family has responsibility for infrastructure/technical planning, implementation and support activities for systems owned by the CommonSpirit Health Technology Infrastructure team. Specific responsibilities include installing and supporting system hardware and software, performing system upgrades, and evaluating and installing patches and software updates. Responsibilities also include operational support activities such as resolving software and hardware related problems, managing backup and recovery activity, administering technology layers, managing monitoring and alerting functions, performing capacity planning and conducting version management.
System Engineers work closely with architects, infrastructure support, database administrators and application support teams to ensure seamless and quality IT support for CommonSpirit Health customers and alignment with CommonSpirit Health’s IT standards, controls and governance.
To be successful, individuals must possess a combination of technical, business and leadership skills. This requires an understanding of customers’ business needs, processes, and functions. They also require a solid knowledge of IT infrastructure, architecture, applications development and support, networks, and computer operations. In addition, individuals working in this job family must possess excellent communication skills and the ability to influence others.
System Engineers have a mastery of supported platforms/products and environments. Their work may consist of implementation tasks which will be large in scope and medium complexity or maintenance and support of platforms/products and environments. System Engineers will work beyond the routine utilizing specialized knowledge and analysis of multiple variables.
Essential Key Job Responsibilities
- Perform daily operational support activities across a large VMWare virtual infrastructure platform
- Perform daily operational support for our AWS / Azure cloud services.
- Participate in a weekly support on-call rotation, and provide escalation to principal engineers
- Complete assignments as required by Operations Leadership
- Manage high-severity operational incidents
- Write and review technical documentation as needed
- Modify VM resources according to requests/incidents.
- Provides evaluation and implementation services for new products, technologies and solutions to address corporate business requirements.
- Assesses and analyses release components. Provides input to scheduling. Carries out the builds and tests in coordination with testers and component specialists maintaining and administering the tools and methods – manual or automatic - and ensuring, where possible, information exchange with configuration management. Ensures release processes and procedures are maintained.
- Provides advice and guidance to support adoption of methods and tools and adherence to policies and standards. Tailors processes in line with agreed standards and evaluation of methods and tools. Reviews and improves usage and application of methods and tools.
- Based on your area, effort and activities are daily maintenance and support of existing environments, or project assignments that can be large in scope and typical medium complexity.
- Provide exceptional customer service to CommonSpirit end users, Business Stakeholders and other members of CommonSpirit ITD.
- Perform patching and/or code deployments across all environments.
- Participate in projects associated to the enhancement, upgrade/patching, or implementation of new or existing software solutions.
- Participates in support efforts with CommonSpirit Health support teams and take ownership of technical issues in System Engineering.
- Conduct performance tuning and troubleshooting.
- Initiate change management requests and adhere to the CommonSpirit Health IT CM process.
- Assist with strategic planning activities (capacity planning, process improvement, maintenance, upgrade and end-of-life planning, roadmap development).
- Identify automation opportunities and implement scripted solutions.
- Identify technical innovation and process improvement opportunities.
- Utilize standard tools and methodology to develop system and support performance metrics.
- Demonstrate a basic knowledge & expertise with CommonSpirit business processes and routines.
The job summary and responsibilities listed above are designed to indicate the general nature of the work performed within this job. They are not designed to contain or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all job responsibilities required of employees assigned to this job. Employees may be required to perform other duties as assigned.
Benefits Include: Benefits include Medical, Dental, Vision, Paid Time Off, Holidays, Retirement Program, Disability Plans, Tuition Reimbursement, Adoption Assistance, Employee Assistance Program (EAP), Discount Programs, Life Insurance Plans, Worker Compensation, Dress for Your Day Policy, Voluntary Benefits.
Compensation Range: $54.11 to $70.35, hourly rates, annualized. Varies by geographic pay areas and is only an estimate.
Position is eligible for incentive pay based on company performance. This position is eligible to work from home.
Edcuation and Experience
- BA or BS in Computer Science, Technology, or Business discipline or equivalent experience is required.
- Minimum of 7 years of professional experience in an IT technical or infrastructure field is required
- General knowledge of Microsoft and UNIX operating systems required.
- Fundamental knowledge of networking and security technologies such as TCP/IP, DNS, firewalls, load balancing/proxies, authentication, single-sign on desired.
- Basic knowledge of storage networks and technologies desired.
- Basic knowledge of testing and quality assurance methodologies desired.
- Qualified candidates will have extensive experience with VMware technologies and solutions.
- 5+ years of operational experience maintaining large VSphere/ESXi environments
- 5+ years of operational experience maintaining and administering large Windows Server OS environments
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Ability to communicate technical concepts to leadership, and to influence cross functional stakeholders to make the best decisions for the organization
- Mastery of virtual infrastructure architecture, product requirements and technical interdependencies
- Experience and hands-on competency with Cyber Security concepts and controls
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Training
- Ability to develop and organize written documentation and procedures is required.
- Ability to exercise good judgement in determining work and problem resolution priorities and approaches.
- Strong analytical and troubleshooting skills desired.
- Ability to multi-task in a fast paced work environment
- Proven abilities in problem management, process analysis and root cause analysis is required.
- Strong written and oral communication skills desired.
- Healthcare industry experience a plus.
- Desire VCP/AWS/Azure Certifications
- Experience with PowerCLI / Powershell Scripting
- Experience with VMWare Vrealize Operations Manager
- Experience with Zerto
Summary of Essential Cognitive Functions
Ability to comprehend and follow instructions; maintain attention and concentration for necessary periods; synthesize, coordinate, and analyze data, perform simple and repetitive tasks; maintain a work pace appropriate to given work load; perform complex and varied tasks; relate to other people beyond giving and receiving instructions; get along with co-workers and peers; understand the meaning of words and how to use them appropriately and effectively; understand and remember detailed instructions; make independent decisions or exercise judgment based on appropriate information; accept and carry out responsibility for direction, control and planning.
Map this location
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.Click Here >
Join our Talent Community so you can stay connected and be alerted to future opportunities.Sign Up
No recently viewed jobs
You have no saved Jobs
CommonSpirit Health™ is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, parental status, ancestry, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here.
CommonSpirit Health™ will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c). External hires must pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with an arrest and/or conviction will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, ban the box laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by telephone at (415) 438-5575 and let us know the nature of your request. We will only respond to messages left that involve a request for a reasonable accommodation in the application process. We will accommodate the needs of any qualified candidate who requests a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). CommonSpirit Health™ participates in E-Verify.