The posted compensation range of $46.96 - $68.10 /hour is a reasonable estimate that extends from the lowest to the highest pay CommonSpirit in good faith believes it might pay for this particular job, based on the circumstances at the time of posting. CommonSpirit may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range as permitted by law.
In 2020 united in a fierce commitment to deliver the highest quality care and exceptional patient experience Virginia Mason and CHI Franciscan Health came together as natural partners to build a new health system centered around the patient: Virginia Mason Franciscan Health. Our combined system builds upon the scale and expertise of our nearly 300 sites of care including 11 hospitals and nearly 5000 physicians and providers. Together we are empowered to make an even greater impact on the health and well-being of our communities.
This job is responsible for planning, managing and evaluating the professional accounting functions involved in maintaining, auditing and processing financial information in accordance with regulatory requirements and the policies, standards and procedures of Franciscan Health System (FHS) and Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI).
Work includes: 1) managing the work of subordinate staff engaged in general accounting functions; 2) identifying opportunities to improve current accounting, internal control and departmental procedures; 3) serving as point-person for internal/external audits; 4) overseeing the filing/payment of various taxes (e.g. B&O, sales, state/local governmental); and 5) general cash management/flow activities. An incumbent also performs advanced professional accounting and financial analysis work, although this is not the primary focus of the position.
An incumbent provides authoritative advice and guidance on the application of accounting concepts, principles and standards to FHS’s financial activities, and has knowledge of organizational objectives/functions and regulatory requirements sufficient to analyze accounting systems, ensure legal compliance of assigned responsibilities and modify/adapt conventional accounting, control and analytical techniques to solve a variety of accounting challenges.
1. Plans, manages and evaluates accounting functions primarily associated with the General Ledger (G/L) to ensure that all activities are conducted in a timely manner and in accordance with internal policies/procedures and applicable regulatory requirements; analyzes accounting practices to determine their legality, propriety and effectiveness; oversees the month-end closing of the G/L and the reconciliation of all balance sheet accounts; ensures the accuracy and completeness of all inter-company accounts and transactions; oversees the preparation of complex financial reports in the areas of G/L accounts, cost reporting, revenue forecasting and cash flow management.
2. Plans, manages and evaluates the work of subordinate professional and administrative staff engaged in general accounting work; interviews job candidates and makes employment decisions; provides guidance and expertise to staff members as required; develops and communicates performance standards, and evaluates staff performance; ensures that employees are qualified and properly trained to perform assigned job duties.
3. Monitors current accounting, internal control and departmental transactions/procedures to identify opportunities to improve compliance, efficiency, accuracy and consistency of processes, financial statements, reports and other financial information and services; analyzes function/department operations for impact on current or future accounting or reporting systems; identifies trends or anomalies in accounting system transactions and evaluates their significance to ongoing programs, operations or activities; develops recommendations for improvements, controls, new methods and other changes consistent with professional accounting principles and standards.
4. Keeps abreast of professional/regulatory trends and changes in order to assess applicability to FHS objectives and to identify potential for impacting/improving existing systems and services; researches new guidelines or pronouncements by accounting standards boards (and related entities) to update existing internal controls, standards and procedures; participates, along with other Accounting Managers, in determining the practical application of standards to FHS.
5. Acts as internal consultant for unusual or complex accounting issues/concerns within defined scope of responsibility; may coordinate and/or conduct training in the fundamentals of internal control in FHS’s accounting environment; counsels management on matters such as better internal controls, redesign of reports, or faster consolidation of data, and how to satisfy regulatory requirements, reduce cost, eliminate waste/fraud or improve operations.
6. Prepares complex financial and other statements and reports that may require extensive research; prepares materials for internal and external audiences, including reports, worksheets, analyses, documentation and other supporting schedules for auditors, tax returns, regulatory agencies, CHI national office and related entities; prepares detailed findings, conclusions and recommendations.
7. Keeps abreast of accounting-related information and activities under the scope of authority of the FHS Payroll, Accounts Payable and Materials Management managers as they impact the G/L accounting and cash management functions; participates in strategic and tactical planning activities and FHS budget administration within defined scope of responsibility.
8. Performs routine cash management/flow functions in accordance with established procedures; recommends the movement of funds from various sources to different accounts based on assessment of need and to maximize yield; Oversees the filing/payment of tax assessments and related information (e.g. B&O, sales, state/local governmental).
9. Serves as point-person for internal or external financial audits conducted to ensure compliance with required County, State, Federal or grant program procedures and requirements; analyzes and verifies documents to ensure adherence to established controls and accepted professional standards; reviews and responds to audit findings; implements, or coordinates the implementation of, changes resulting from final audit report.
Performs related duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Administration or related field, and five years of progressively responsible related work experience, preferably in a healthcare setting, including a minimum of one year in a lead or supervisory capacity.
• Current licensure as a Certified Public Accountant or Certified Management Accountant is preferred.
Map this location
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.Click Here >
Join our Talent Community so you can stay connected and be alerted to future opportunities.Sign Up
No recently viewed jobs
You have no saved Jobs