Lab Assistant Outpatient
CHI Mercy Health offers the unique opportunity to grow professionally in a supportive highly rewarding work environment and to satisfy your soul in the surroundings of a breathtakingly beautiful natural setting. More than 100 years after the founding of our organization the core values - Compassion Inclusion Integrity Excellence and Collaboration - that guide our interactions with our patients and each other remain the same. In the welcoming embrace of these nurturing communities you will feel immediately at home.
Roseburg is located on Interstate 5 in Southern Oregons scenic Douglas County. The community is nestled in a lush forested region known as the 100 Valleys of the Umpqua. In many places you’ll find it hard to maintain a healthy work-life/personal-life balance because the pace of one is indistinguishable from the other. Not here. Life never stops here but it slows to an easy welcome pace. A traffic jam means you missed the yellow and have to wait for the next green. A terrible parking space is the one across from the restaurant instead of in front of it. And the three words you may never hear are “Wow that’s expensive.” Easy is the best way to describe life here. Hard-to-beat works too.
Pay Scale: $17.04 - $23.43
Shift: Monday - Friday 7am - 6pm Start and End Times May Vary
Under the direction of the Phlebotomy Supervisor, the Laboratory Assistant I performs phlebotomist duties, assists in clerical functions, stocks and distributes supplies, receives, separates and distributes specimens to various departments within the laboratory, prepares specimens to be sent to the reference laboratory and assists the technologists as directed.
- Collects venous and capillary blood by venipuncture and microcapillary technique. Effectively obtains samples from adults, newborns, children, geriatric patients, and patients with special needs.
- Demonstrates ability in the care and handling of patients in all age groups including, but not limited to, consideration of the special needs and behavior of each respective group.
- For scheduled shifts requiring morning round duties, will consistently meet draw time requirements.
- For scheduled shifts at an outpatient draw site, will consistently meet the 2% error rate policy/procedure.
- Uses Mobilab for all Inpatient draws.
- Retrieves (if future/standing) and reviews submitted Outpatient lab orders to properly determine needed tests. Completes telephone orders appropriately. Receives in and distributes specimens to the correct areas in the Laboratory. Uses Laboratory Information System for ordering tests, reviewing results, using LABFAX to send results and other functions in the computer.
- Performs chores and completes the appropriate daily chore log documentation.
- Maintains daily equipment temperature logs and reports discrepancies to technologists/supervisor/lead lab assistant as needed.
- Restocks supplies (draw rooms/carts) at the end of each shift. Fills supply orders for hospital/physician/lab draw sites as needed.
- Collects non-DOT urine Drug Screens according to laboratory protocol.
- Follows OSHA guidelines for safe handling and transportation of various laboratory specimens.
- Phlebotomy certification preferred.
- Valid Oregon driver’s license required. Driving record is clear of any chargeable accidents involving negligence within the previous 36 months, more than 2 moving violations in the previous 12 months, more than 4 moving violations in the previous 36 months, or any felony conviction, or D.W.I/D.U.I. conviction.
- Must be adaptable to changes in routine.
- Must possess strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Basic computer skills required.
- High school diploma or GED required.
Map this location
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.Click Here >
Join our Talent Community so you can stay connected and be alerted to future opportunities.Sign Up
No recently viewed jobs
You have no saved Jobs