Lab Assistant, Inpatient
CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health. With more than 700 care sites across the U.S. & from clinics and hospitals to home-based care and virtual care services CommonSpirit is accessible to nearly one out of every four U.S. residents. Our world needs compassion like never before. Our communities need caring and our families need protection. With our combined resources CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy communities advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable and innovating how and where healing can happen both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
Pay Scale: $16.26 - $22.36
Shift:8pm - 6:30am 4 On/4 Off
Under the direction of the Phlebotomy Supervisor, the Laboratory Assistant I performs phlebotomist duties, assists in clerical functions, stocks and distributes supplies, receives, separates and distributes specimens to various departments within the laboratory, prepares specimens to be sent to the reference laboratory and assists the technologists as directed.
- Collects venous and capillary blood by venipuncture and microcapillary technique. Effectively obtains samples from adults, newborns, children, geriatric patients, and patients with special needs.
- Demonstrates ability in the care and handling of patients in all age groups including, but not limited to, consideration of the special needs and behavior of each respective group.
- For scheduled shifts requiring morning round duties, will consistently meet draw time requirements.
- For scheduled shifts at an outpatient draw site, will consistently meet the 2% error rate policy/procedure.
- Uses Mobilab for all Inpatient draws.
- Retrieves (if future/standing) and reviews submitted Outpatient lab orders to properly determine needed tests. Completes telephone orders appropriately. Receives in and distributes specimens to the correct areas in the Laboratory. Uses Laboratory Information System for ordering tests, reviewing results, using LABFAX to send results and other functions in the computer.
- Performs chores and completes the appropriate daily chore log documentation.
- Maintains daily equipment temperature logs and reports discrepancies to technologists/supervisor/lead lab assistant as needed.
- Restocks supplies (draw rooms/carts) at the end of each shift. Fills supply orders for hospital/physician/lab draw sites as needed.
- Collects non-DOT urine Drug Screens according to laboratory protocol.
- Follows OSHA guidelines for safe handling and transportation of various laboratory specimens.
- Phlebotomy certification preferred.
- Valid Oregon driver’s license required. Driving record is clear of any chargeable accidents involving negligence within the previous 36 months, more than 2 moving violations in the previous 12 months, more than 4 moving violations in the previous 36 months, or any felony conviction, or D.W.I/D.U.I. conviction.
- Must be adaptable to changes in routine.
- Must possess strong organizational and interpersonal skills.
- Basic computer skills required.
- High school diploma or GED required.
Map this location
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.Click Here >
Join our Talent Community so you can stay connected and be alerted to future opportunities.Sign Up
No recently viewed jobs
You have no saved Jobs
CommonSpirit Health™ is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, parental status, ancestry, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here.
CommonSpirit Health™ will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c). External hires must pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with an arrest and/or conviction will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, ban the box laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by telephone at (415) 438-5575 and let us know the nature of your request. We will only respond to messages left that involve a request for a reasonable accommodation in the application process. We will accommodate the needs of any qualified candidate who requests a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). CommonSpirit Health™ participates in E-Verify.