Healthcare Payer Contract Manager
CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health. With more than 700 care sites across the U.S. & from clinics and hospitals to home-based care and virtual care services CommonSpirit is accessible to nearly one out of every four U.S. residents. Our world needs compassion like never before. Our communities need caring and our families need protection. With our combined resources CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy communities advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable and innovating how and where healing can happen both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
Implements managed care policies, goals and objectives related to contract language and reimbursement, negotiation strategy, and national payer relationship management. This position, in coordination with the PSR National Payers Team, supports negotiations with a wide-variety of fee-for-service and value-based contracts across all of CommonSpirit Health’s geographies, focusing on the largest national health insurers and their numerous business lines (e.g. commercial, government, and service-line specific). The Manager, National Payers, collects and communicates Division-level insight and strategic knowledge to/from the PSR National Payers teams, the PSR Growth & Innovation team, and a host of other key departments across the enterprise (finance, strategy, population health, etc.). This position is support PSR functions, which are essential to CommonSpirit Health’s financial performance, and has significant impact on the long-term strategic trajectory of the organization. High expectations exist to secure optimal fee for service and value-based reimbursement, protect the interests of the owned and/or affiliated hospitals/ancillaries/professional provider entities in contract negotiations, and strengthen CommonSpirit Health’s relationships with all National Payers.
- Reviews contract proposals, language and rate sheets to ensure accuracy, completeness and in compliance with CommonSpirit Health standards and guidelines.
- Negotiates National Payer single case agreements and other assigned agreements, at the direction of the senior leadership.
- Recommends corrections, changes and any language opportunities in contract documents to System Director and System Vice President.
- Maintains and make readily available national library of best-practice contract language, rate structure, and value-based agreements of CSH’s National Payers.
- Lead communication plans around official correspondence as issues arise with national payer policy updates or compliance with CSH agreements.
- Monitor national contract terms, termination dates, and rate update deadlines to assure proper and timely notification achieved in compliance with project plan and strategy.
- Ensure all amendments, letters of agreement (LOA), memorandum of understanding (MOU) and other contract documents are signed by the appropriate parties, and provide the fully executed contract documents to the Contract Administration team.
- Assist in developing tools/updates for communicating and operationalizing contract terms, amendments, and policy terms. Assist System Director with updating project plan documents and communications plans.
- Maintain National Payer knowledge base to include financial statements/reports, news articles and other information.
- Provide support and contracting accountability for negotiation to include hospital, physician, and ancillary services.
A compensation range of $84,500 – $109,947 is the reasonable estimate that CommonSpirit in good faith believes it might pay for this particular job based on the circumstances at the time of posting. CommonSpirit may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range as permitted by law.
While you’re busy impacting the healthcare industry, we’ll take care of you with benefits that include health/dental/vision, FSA, matching retirement plans, paid vacation, adoption assistance, more!
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree – equivalent experience and/or education may be considered in lieu of degree
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in Healthcare Finance and/or health care contracting
Minimum Skills, Abilities, Knowledge and Training
- Ability to:
- Establish, build, and maintain positive, strategic interactions and relationships with leaders across the ministry
- Set and maintain multiple priorities in an environment with shifting priorities, while providing accurate deliverables in a timely fashion.
- Identify opportunities and take action to build relationships between one’s area and other areas, teams, departments, or organizations to help achieve business goals
- Understand regulations and communicating proactively regarding regulations
- Comprehend and maintain highly detailed information
- Assess problems and implement solutions
- Accept and carry out responsibility for direction, control, and planning
- Facilitate change: Encourages others to seek opportunities for innovative approaches to more effectively address out-of-network-related problems; facilitates the implementation, communication, and acceptance of productive change within the workplace
- Ensure the patient perspective is a driving force behind actions and business decisions; crafts and implements service strategies that meet patients' needs and CSH’s organizational goals from both a national and divisional perspective. (Focus also includes internal and external customers)
- Foster, and strengthen CommonSpirit Health’s external and internal relationships within PSR, providers and departments across the enterprise
- Creatively problem solve, and to achieve the operational and financial goals of both PSR and the broader organization
- Knowledge of:
- commercial health insurance products, market segments and marketplaces; ability to apply this knowledge to meet specific business goals and objectives
- tools and approaches of financial analysis; ability to read, interpret and draw accurate conclusions from financial and numerical material.
- and ability to stay current with, emerging payer trends, new State and Federal regulations related to out-of-network claims, related to the NSA and results of the IDR process across the country, competitor strategies, etc.
- successful negotiation concepts and techniques; ability to negotiate successfully across the organization and with external vendors and clients in a constructive and collaborative manner
- Technical skills, negotiation skills, contract preparation and implementation, financial analysis and rate proposal development, and in-depth knowledge of various reimbursement methodologies.
- Must be self-motivated, and able to take ownership of assignments and projects. Driven to succeed.
- Strong interpersonal, verbal, and writing skills in dealing with payers and team members with highly developed organizational skills.
- Proven success in project management working with highly complex build
Map this location
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.Click Here >
Join our Talent Community so you can stay connected and be alerted to future opportunities.Sign Up
No recently viewed jobs
You have no saved Jobs
CommonSpirit Health™ is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer committed to a diverse and inclusive workforce. All qualified applicants will be considered for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, marital status, parental status, ancestry, veteran status, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law. For more information about your EEO rights as an applicant, please click here.
CommonSpirit Health™ will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by the employer, or (c) consistent with the contractor’s legal duty to furnish information. 41 CFR 60-1.35(c). External hires must pass a post-offer, pre-employment background check/drug screen. Qualified applicants with an arrest and/or conviction will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with federal and state laws, as well as applicable local ordinances, ban the box laws, including but not limited to the San Francisco and Los Angeles Fair Chance Ordinances. If you need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the employment process, please contact us by telephone at (415) 438-5575 and let us know the nature of your request. We will only respond to messages left that involve a request for a reasonable accommodation in the application process. We will accommodate the needs of any qualified candidate who requests a reasonable accommodation under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). CommonSpirit Health™ participates in E-Verify.