Sys Director Corporate Counsel
|Dignity Health one of the nation’s largest health care systems is a 22-state network of more than 9000 physicians 63000 employees and 400 care centers including hospitals urgent and occupational care imaging and surgery centers home health and primary care clinics. Headquartered in San Francisco Dignity Health is dedicated to providing compassionate high-quality and affordable patient-centered care with special attention to the poor and underserved. In FY17 Dignity Health provided $2.6 billion in charitable care and community services. For more information please visit our website at www.dignityhealth.org. You can also follow us on Twitter and Facebook.|
Job Summary / Purpose
The Legal Operations Senior Counsel provides a general array of direct, high-level legal services and serves as a thought-leader and trusted advisor primarily to one or more assigned CommonSpirit Operating Divisions, which may include regional delivery systems, acute care facilities, other inpatient or outpatient/ambulatory operations, system-level functions, service lines, or related activities, working independently and with minimal supervision, in a manner consistent with CommonSpirit’s mission, vision, and values. The CommonSpirit Operating Divisions currently include: the Arizona Division, the Midwest Division, the Northern California Division, the Southeast Division, the Southwest Division, the Texas Division, and the Pacific Northwest Division (Operating Divisions).
Essential Key Job Responsibilities
- Perform direct, consistent, high-level legal services for, represent, and support assigned CommonSpirit Operating Division. Direct legal services will include, but not be limited to: preparation, review, and revision of complex non-physician agreements and complex physician agreements (using templates adopted by the Legal Team, as appropriate); and provision of sophisticated legal counsel and guidance relating to health care operational issues, including patient consent, bioethics, risk management, medical staff, licensing and certification, policies, contractual arrangements (rights and responsibilities), regulatory requirements, Stark and Anti-Kickback compliance, and other areas of health care operations subject to state and federal laws and regulations.
- Serve as a legal subject matter expert capable of providing sophisticated legal advice to assigned Operating Division leadership, management, boards, and committees, as well as to other members of the Legal Team and be knowledgeable about other health care laws applicable to CommonSpirit.
- Develop and maintain subject matter expertise in one or more health care operations law substantive areas supported by the Legal Team and use this expertise for the benefit of CommonSpirit. This will include serving as a subject matter expert on one or more areas of health care operations law to assist other members of the Legal Team, as well as members of CommonSpirit business operations across the enterprise.
- Actively engage and coordinate with other Legal Team members, as needed, for effective delivery of health care legal operations services across the enterprise.
- Supervise, direct, manage, and collaborate with junior attorneys, paralegals, executive assistants, and other Legal Team support staff.
- Manage and evaluate outside counsel engaged to provide health care operations-related legal support.
- Prepare, review, and revise corporate documents (e.g., articles of incorporation and bylaws) and assist with internal CommonSpirit approval processes (e.g., Governance Matrix, Approval and Signature Authority Policy, etc.) for assigned Operating Division.
- Manage and assist with assigned Operating Division litigation, administrative proceedings, and other regulatory (including licensure and certification) proceedings or matters.
AHLA, Health Law
Required Education and Experience
- Juris Doctor or equivalent degree from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association. Health law or specialty professional education, or equivalent experience (preferred).
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ legal work experience either with a law firm or in-house legal department involving the performance of general, operational, or specialty legal services for hospitals, health systems, medical foundations or groups, clinics, providers, health care delivery organizations, or integrated delivery systems.
- Minimum of five (5) years’ leadership experience.
Required Licensure and Certifications
- Active State Bar licensure, registration as in-house counsel, or equivalent acceptable status for state of primary work location.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Training
- Strong decision-making skills and judgment with the ability to handle difficult and complex issues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong drafting skills suitable to more complex and sophisticated matters
- Understanding of and ability to adhere to confidentiality obligations
- Effective and collegial interpersonal skills; ability to perform legal functions with integrity and consistent with CommonSpirit’s mission, vision, and values
- Ability to work independently, manage a diverse workflow, and timely and effectively complete assigned work
- Possess an understanding of when to inform or advance legal issues to or seek input from Legal Team leadership
- Ability to use in-house and outside legal resources to accomplish work while achieving cost effectiveness
A compensation range of $183,000 - $257,000 is the reasonable estimate that CommonSpirit in good faith believes it might pay for this particular job based on the circumstances at the time of posting. CommonSpirit may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range as permitted by law.
While you’re busy impacting the healthcare industry, we’ll take care of you with benefits that include health/dental/vision, FSA, matching retirement plans, paid vacation, adoption assistance, annual bonus eligibility and more!
Map this location
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.Click Here >
Join our Talent Community so you can stay connected and be alerted to future opportunities.Sign Up
No recently viewed jobs
You have no saved Jobs