Remote Coder IV Inpatient
The posted compensation range of $43.62 - $52.09 /hour is a reasonable estimate that extends from the lowest to the highest pay CommonSpirit in good faith believes it might pay for this particular job, based on the circumstances at the time of posting. CommonSpirit may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range as permitted by law.
Job available in additional locations
- US-CA-SAN FRANCISCO | US-CA-STOCKTON | US-CA-REDDING | US-CA-BAKERSFIELD | US-CA-LOS ANGELES | US-CA-SANTA CRUZ |
Dominican Hospital (a member of Dignity Health) is a 222-bed facility that offers a wide range of services to residents of California’s Central Coast. With 24/7 emergency care comprehensive care in cardiac orthopedics oncology women’s and children’s services we continue to lead the region in medical innovation and excellence in healthcare. Comprehensive CareDominican offers emergency services and is a Certified Stroke Center and Chest Pain Center. Dominican’s services include the only comprehensive Cancer Center in Santa Cruz County a Total Joint Replacement program and advanced neurological and endoscopic services. Dominican regularly receives ‘A’ grades for hospital safety from Leapfrog Group and has received national recognition for superior patient safety cardiac care and stroke treatment from Healthgrades a leading provider of comprehensive information about physicians and hospitals.As Santa Cruz County’s heart attack (STEMI) receiving center Dominican Hospital provides cutting edge cardiac care. The hospital’s heart attack treatment times consistently beat the national average and the hospital offers two cardiac catheterization labs available 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Groundbreaking cardiac procedures at Dominican include the Transcatheter Aortic Valve Replacement (TAVR) procedure which allows for heart valve replacement without opening a patient’s chest.Dominican Hospital has forged significant partnerships with area hospitals to bring exceptional care to Santa Cruz County. The hospital offers a level III Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) through a partnership with Lucile Packard Children’s Hospital Stanford. Neurosurgery at Dominican is also offered through a partnership with Stanford Health Care.
$5,000 Sign-On Bonus Available
This position is a remote position; however, the successful candidate must reside in the State of California. Please check our website (Search Category: Medical Coding) for other remote or non-remote coder opportunities in and outside of the State of California.
The Coder IV is a member of the Health Information Management Team responsible for ensuring the accuracy and completeness of clinical coding validating the information in the databases for outcome management and specialty registries across the entire integrated healthcare system. The purpose of this position is to apply the appropriate diagnostic and procedural codes to individual patient health information records for data retrieval analysis and claims processing. This position is expected to perform duties in alignment with the mission and policies within the Dignity Health organization TJC CMS and other regulatory agencies.
Principle Duties and Accountabilities:
- Assign codes for diagnoses treatments and procedures according to the appropriate classification system for inpatient admissions.
- Can also code ancillary emergency department same-day surgery and observation charts if needed.
- Review provider documentation to determine the principal diagnosis co-morbidities and complications secondary conditions and surgical procedures following official coding guidelines.
- Utilize technical coding principals and APC reimbursement expertise to assign appropriate ICD-IO-CM diagnoses ICD-IO-PCS as appropriate and CPT-4 for procedures.
- Understanding of ICD10 Coding in relation to DRGs
- Abstract additional data elements during the chart review process when coding as needed
- Utilize technical coding principals and MS-DRG reimbursement expertise to assign appropriate ICD-10- CM diagnoses and ICD- IO-PCS procedures.
- Ensure accurate coding by clarifying diagnosis _and procedural information through an established query process if necessary.
- Assign Present on Admission (POA) value for inpatient diagnoses.
- Extract required information from source documentation and enter into encoder and abstracting system.
- Identifies non-payment conditions; Hospital-Acquired Conditions (HAC) Patient Safety Indicators (PSI) following report through established procedures.
- Collaborate in the DRG Mismatch process with the Clinical Documentation Improvement team.
- Review documentation to verify and when necessary correct the patient disposition upon discharge.
- Prioritize work to ensure the timeframe of medical record coding meets regulatory requirements.
- Serve as a resource for coding related questions as appropriate.
- Adhere to and maintain required levels of performance in both Coding accuracy and productivity.
- Review and maintain a record of charts coded held and/or missing
- Provide documentation feedback to Providers as needed
- Participate in Coding department meetings and educational events.
- Meet performance and quality standards at the Coder III level.
- Abide by the Standards of Ethical Coding as set forth by the American Health Information Management Association (AHIMA) and adheres to official coding guidelines.
- Other duties as assigned that have a direct impact on our ability to decrease the DNFB and support Revenue Cycle including but not limited to charge validation observation calculations etc..
We offer the following benefits to support you and your family:
- Health/Dental/Vision Insurance
- Flexible spending accounts
- Voluntary Protection: Group Accident Critical Illness and Identity Theft
- Adoption Assistance
- Free Premium Membership to Care.com with preloaded credits for children and/or dependent adults
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP) for you and your family
- Paid Time Off (PTO)
- Tuition Assistance for career growth and development
- Retirement Programs
- Wellness Programs
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Completion of an AHIMA or APPC accredited coding certification program that includes courses that are critical to coding success such as Anatomy and physiology pathophysiology pharmacology Anatomy I Physiology Medical Terminology and ICD-10 and CPT coding courses etc..
- Have and maintain current coding credential from AHIMA or AAPC (RHIA RHIT CCS CCS-P CPC or CPC-H ).
- Three years of relevant coding and abstracting experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience required in an acute care hospital setting.
- A minimum of 3 years Inpatient medical coding experience (Hospital Facility etc).*
- Must have ICD-10 coding experience.
- Ability to use a PC in a Windows environment including MS Word and EMR systems.
- Ability to pass coding technical assessment.
*One year of experience will be waived for those who have attended the Dignity Health Coding Apprenticeship Program.
- Experience with various Encoder systems (i.e. OptumCAC Cemer).
- Intermediate level of Microsoft Excel.
- Experience with coding and charge validation.
**This position is remote and selected candidate must reside in California.
Map this location
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.Click Here >
Join our Talent Community so you can stay connected and be alerted to future opportunities.Sign Up
No recently viewed jobs
You have no saved Jobs