Virtual Patient Companion
CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health. With more than 700 care sites across the U.S. from clinics and hospitals to home-based care and virtual care services CommonSpirit is accessible to nearly one out of every four U.S. residents. Our world needs compassion like never before. Our communities need caring and our families need protection. With our combined resources CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy communities advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable and innovating how and where healing can happen both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
This position is onsite at our Phoenix office.
This position is responsible for continually monitoring patients that have been identified as being at high risk of falling, elopement, elicit drug / alcohol use, disoriented/demented, pulling out lines/tubes. and/or other areas of potential concern. The Patient Companion monitors patients located in multiple CommonSpirit Health facilities across the United States. The patients have been identified as requiring observation on a continual basis in order to quickly identify circumstances that could impact their ongoing safety and care. Monitoring is executed from a CommonSpirit Health System Office, utilizing live non-recorded streaming video equipment to ensure that patients are interacting with the environment in a safe and appropriate manner at all times.
- Ability to accurately recognize signs of patient agitation, impulsiveness, pulling at lines/tubes, and/or illicit drug or alcohol use
- Capacity to take appropriate action and follow established protocols of notifying staff of patient safety concern(s) identified
- and maintains effective communication channels with patients, colleagues, bedside direct patient care staff. Reporting potentially dangerous changes in patient behavior, and escalating communications as necessary using established protocols and best judgment.
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, procedures, equipment, and terminology applicable to the operations of the assigned work unit
- Monitors patients utilizing video observation platforms, and telecommunication tools
- Follows proper channels of communication in handling routine and emergency situations
- Follows established protocols/procedures
- Has awareness of and strives to improve department metrics
- Represents the core values of CommonSpirit Health during all interactions
- Essential Key Job Responsibilities
- Maintains continuous surveillance of assigned patients/rooms to ensure patient is interacting appropriately with care environment and surroundings; initiates communication with patient as appropriate.
- Communicates with bedside staff in a timely, professional, and courteous manner
- Reports camera disruption or obstructions to patient care team in a timely manner.
Identifies changes in the patient’s behavior and/or condition in accordance with established guidelines
- In response to observed changes in patient behavior, notifies care staff of:
- Increased agitation;
- Interacting inappropriately with care tools (e.g. IV pumps, lines, drains or airways);
- Attempts to leave bed/chair, etc;
- Concerns for patient safety
- Identifies inappropriate behavior from patient visitors and notifies care staff.
- Identifies and requests corrective action to be taken to address obstructed camera view.
Initiates timely communication with on-site clinical staff to report situations needing immediate and direct intervention to maintain patient safety and comfort
- Quickly notifies bedside care staff of changes using phone, communications system, cell phone, other communication device as necessary, or STAT alarm.
- Communicates with patient/family in the room, quickly, professionally and with courtesy and kindness.
- Communicates any sub-optimal viewing conditions to bedside staff, suggests corrective action and determines whether a patient can be safely observed.
Documents observations and subsequent actions taken to maintain timely and accurate record
- Documents calls to care providers, or use of STAT alarm
- Documents and reports adverse events using the IRIS system.
- Documents and reports system and/or equipment malfunctions to the appropriate party.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships
- Maintains a neat and organized work environment; orders, stocks and replenishes supplies and equipment as necessary
- Handles incoming, outgoing and internal communications with courtesy and professionalism
- Participates in quality assurance/improvement initiatives and activities; participates in growth opportunities.
- Complies with CommonSpirit Health’s core values
- High School Diploma, or equivalent required
- Prior experience in patient care (e.g., CNA, Unit Clerk, MA, LVN, etc…)
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, the function and use of the streaming video monitoring equipment.
- Ability to learn to access multiple video observation platforms, access EMRs through separate hospital portals and understand hospital-specific workflow protocols.
- Ability to maintain constant observation of assigned patient rooms and to identify circumstances needing timely intervention/assistance of on-site healthcare staff.
- Ability to understand and follow established protocols/procedures applicable to the assigned hospital in a timely and compliant manner.
- Ability to document observations and actions taken in a timely and accurate manner.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships as required by the duties of the position.
- Ability to take appropriate action and follow established protocols in notifying RN staff of changes in cardiac rhythm and arrhythmias.
- Ability to troubleshoot routine technical equipment problems.
- Ability to perform basic math calculations, including addition and subtraction.
- Ability to understand and apply instructions provided by the supervisor in charge.
- Ability to understand and adhere to procedures relating to protected healthcare information, safety and risk management.
- Ability to read, understand and communicate in English sufficient to perform the duties of the position.
- Ability to use office equipment and automated systems/applications/software at an acceptable level.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships as required by the duties of the position.
- Satisfactory completion of the competency based training program as a Virtual Companion at CommonSpirit Health
Map this location
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.Click Here >
Join our Talent Community so you can stay connected and be alerted to future opportunities.Sign Up
No recently viewed jobs
You have no saved Jobs