Partnering for a stronger, healthier world.
At CommonSpirit Health, we believe in the healing power of humanity. We invite you to explore our specialty areas and pursue a career in humankindness.
- Employment Type: PRN
- Department: Emergency Services
- Hours/Pay Period: 0
Saint Joseph Mount Sterling is a not-for-profit faith-based hospital located in Mount Sterling Kentucky. The hospital was founded in 1918—formerly known as Mary Chiles Hospital—and now serves as a 42-bed community hospital for the residents of Bath Bourbon Clark Menifee Montgomery Nicholas Powell and Rowan counties. CHI Saint Joseph Health supports 5000 active employees 8 hospitals specialty clinics and a Medical Group with more than 200 locations across Central and Eastern KY. CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health in 2019. With our combined resources CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy communities advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable and innovating how and where healing can happen both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
The intern student nurse will gain experience in a realistic professional nursing work environment by assisting in the delivery of both direct and indirect nursing care under the direction and supervision of a registered nurse within the scope of practice of unlicensed, assistive personnel.
Essential Key Job Responsibilities
Skills and procedures
- Performs clinical procedures in a competent manner, following appropriate policies and procedures, under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
- Obtains vital signs, intake and output, accuchecks and documents per unit protocol.
- Obtains blood and blood products from the blood bank. May assist in identifying blood before administration.
- Assists with trach care, suctioning, G-tube and feeding tube insertions and maintenance, and simple/complex dressing changes.
- Assists physician before, during, and after procedures within facility and unit guidelines.
- Demonstrates knowledge related to age appropriate behavior of children, adolescents, adults, and seniors to assess the growth and development of the patient.
- Provides routine and procedural hygiene needs.
- Assists in meeting patient's activity needs.
- Obtains specimens as directed.
- Assists/Performs post-mortem care. Provides emotional support patients and assists with monitoring recovery from any procedures.
- Communicates effectively with all members of the health care team.
- Maintains complete patient confidentiality.
- Reports changes in patient's condition or other pertinent data to RN immediately.
- Assists with patient and family education, as appropriate.
Quality and Safety
- Attends shift huddles and in-services, as appropriate.
- Demonstrates safe and proper use of equipment.
- Uses personal protective equipment and complies with all universal precautions and blood-borne pathogens regulations.
- Cleans and checks for malfunctioning of stretchers, wheelchairs, bedside commodes, and I.V. poles according to unit protocol.
- Identifies and immediately reports any actual or potential hazard observed in the hospital environment.
- Demonstrates knowledge of all safety and emergency codes
- Dresses professionally and wears name badge at all times.
- Performs AIDET before any patient and family interactions.
- Actively participates in all Nurse Extern activities
Required Education and Experience
Nursing Fundamentals 101 Course
Required Licensure and Certifications
BLS - CPR
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Training
starts with you.
Are you a career fit with our CommonSpirit Health culture? To understand how we are structured, we believe in some core philosophies with the following:
We will be stronger together, achieving excellence in all we do, collaborating across the fields and growing our collective knowledge.
We will let humankindness guide us as we treat every person with holistic, personalized care for the body, mind and spirit.
We will advance the science and art of nursing as innovative leaders who demonstrate the power of evidence-based, compassionate care. If you believe in working together with humankindness for all to advance the science and art of nursing - then you have found your career fit with us!
“Our hope is that you will always feel inspired, knowing you truly are the heart and soul of CommonSpirit.”– Kathleen D. Sanford, EVP, Chief Nursing Officer
Your Possible Career Path
This is a snapshot of your potential career path highlights the series of job positions that help you progress towards your goals and objectives. Ultimately, your career path depends on your career values and personal goals.
What makes a successful Nurse Extern at CHI Saint Joseph Mount Sterling?
Our Total Reward Offerings
At CommonSpirit Health, your Total Rewards package includes compensation, benefits, retirement, wellness, leave, and other programs. Please explore what we have to offer below.
Pay and Recognition
Map this location
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.Click Here >
No recently viewed jobs
You have no saved Jobs
Get tailored job recommendations based on your interests.Get Started