Registered Respiratory Therapist Wknd
CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health. With more than 700 care sites across the U.S. & from clinics and hospitals to home-based care and virtual care services CommonSpirit is accessible to nearly one out of every four U.S. residents. Our world needs compassion like never before. Our communities need caring and our families need protection. With our combined resources CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy communities advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable and innovating how and where healing can happen both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
JOB SUMMARY / PURPOSE
The Registered Respiratory Therapist is an (RRT) that possesses working knowledge of respiratory care and has displayed age-specific competence for all age groups serviced by the facility. The incumbent conducts himself/herself in a professional manner and is courteous to patients, physicians, visitors, members of the department and all other healthcare personnel. The incumbent supports and contributes to departmental productivity and organizational objectives by functioning as an integrated member of the respiratory care team and performs services consistent with his/her scope of licensure. The incumbent supports and exhibits behaviors consistent with the organization’s mission and values in offering hope and healing to all.
ESSENTIAL KEY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
1. Plans and administers non-medicated aerosol and humidity therapy.
2. Plans and administers oxygen therapy (including implementation of oxygen therapy protocol where appropriate.
3. Plans and administers aerosolized medication and specialty gas therapy.
4. Plans and administers COPD care program.
5. Performs airway management.
6. Plans and administers incentive spirometry.
7. Cleans and reprocesses respiratory therapy equipment and stocks supplies for immediate use.
8. Plans and administers bronchial hygiene and performs chest physiotherapy (including implementation of bronchial hygiene protocol where appropriate).
9. Performs cardiopulmonary resuscitation and manual ventilation during resuscitation attempts and aides in rapid response calls when appropriate.
10. Collects, analyzes and reports arterial blood samples.
11. Operates mechanical ventilators (invasive and non-invasive) and manages ventilator settings and weaning per protocols and provider orders.
12. Performs electrocardiography studies.
13. Performs bedside pulmonary function testing.
14. Performs overnight pulse oximetry.
15. When called upon to do so, serves as a preceptor to newly hired employees and/or respiratory therapy students.
16. When called upon to do so, serves in the charge respiratory therapist role.
17. When called upon to do so, assists in research projects (as directed by departmental and facility leadership.
18. Provides patient, family, hospital staff and physician education as appropriate.
19. Attend staff or hospital meetings as required and participates on committees as directed.
20. Performs other duties, within the scope of licensure, as assigned.
Required Education for Staff Job Levels At a minimum, the incumbent shall have received the equivalent of an Associate’s Degree in Cardiopulmonary Services or Respiratory Care from an accredited respiratory therapy educational program.
Required Licensure and Certifications The incumbent shall be distinguished as a Registered Respiratory Therapist (RRT) by the National Board for Respiratory Care (NBRC); such distinction shall be kept current (if applicable). Additionally, the incumbent shall hold an active license as a Respiratory Care Practitioner from the Kentucky Board of Respiratory Care. The incumbent shall hold a current certificate from the American Heart Association (AHA) in Basic Life Support or Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities The incumbent shall be skilled in interpersonal communication to the level that is required to effectively interact with patients, visitors and members of the healthcare team. The incumbent shall possess critical thinking skills adequate to evaluate patient conditions and recommend appropriate intervention (or to seek assistance when necessary). The incumbent shall display time management skills that are sufficient to organize scheduled tasks in a manner that ensures delivery of high quality respiratory care. At a minimum, the incumbent shall communicate in English at the twelfth grade level. Sufficient proficiency in speaking, reading, and writing the English language necessary to perform the essential functions of this job, especially with regard to activities impacting patient or employee safety or security. Ability to effectively communicate with patients, physicians, family members and co-workers in a manner consistent with a customer service focus and application of positive language principles. The incumbent shall possess basic rationale in communicating therapeutic needs with patients, visitors and members of the healthcare team. Ability to work independently; capable of handling challenging / difficult procedures and patient care situations; demonstrates sound judgment and executes above average clinical skills. Exhibits strong interpersonal and team player skills with all levels of the healthcare team and assures delivery of excellent customer service to all patients, visitors, physicians and co-workers. Adapts to multiple ongoing priorities with minimal supervision including, organizing work flow and actively participating in problem-solving. Possesses basic computer knowledge; operates multiple computer systems to include, Hospital / Respiratory Information Systems and Office software to maintain patient and exam documents.
PREFERRED Qualifications One year experience as a Respiratory Care Practitioner. It is desired that the incumbent hold a current certificate from the AHA in Advanced Cardiac Life Support. If the incumbent functions within the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit, he/she shall hold a current certificate from the AHA/American Academy of Pediatrics as a Neonatal Resuscitation Program Provider.
Map this location
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.Click Here >
Join our Talent Community so you can stay connected and be alerted to future opportunities.Sign Up
No recently viewed jobs
You have no saved Jobs