The posted compensation range of $15.61 - $21.89 /hour is a reasonable estimate that extends from the lowest to the highest pay CommonSpirit in good faith believes it might pay for this particular job, based on the circumstances at the time of posting. CommonSpirit may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range as permitted by law.
Saint Joseph Hospital is a 433-bed facility located in Lexington Kentucky. Founded in 1877 a small group of Sisters of Charity of Nazareth in Kentucky led by Sister Euphrasia Stafford began their health ministry. Their mission was to provide compassionate care to the poor and underserved – a tradition still carried out today. Saint Joseph Hospital primarily serves central and eastern Kentucky with a full range of services including distinguished awards for cardiology orthopedics and stroke care. CHI Saint Joseph Health supports 5000 active employees 8 hospitals specialty clinics and a Medical Group with more than 200 locations across Central and Eastern KY. CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health in 2019. With our combined resources CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy communities advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable and innovating how and where healing can happen both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
Job Summary / Purpose
Performs blood collections from patients and assumes responsibility for safety and comfort of patients, following established standards and practices. Provides direct patient care to patients of all ages. Works in the Front Office performing all necessary duties associated with dispatching the phlebotomists, answering the phones, ordering lab tests in the computer, checking the Order Monitor Log, receiving specimens into the Lab, delivering specimens to the various sections of the Lab and any other duties associated with Front Office responsibilities. Also responsible for receiving specimens into the Lab from the tube system when needed and other processing duties as assigned.
Essential Key Job Responsibilities
- Dispatches and tracks Support Assistants in an efficient manner.
- Demonstrates appropriate knowledge and skills related to routine venipuncture and other specimen collection techniques.
- Demonstrates appropriate knowledge and skills related to specimen collection for blood bank transfusion purposes.
- Appropriately identifies patients according to procedure being performed.
- Demonstrates appropriate knowledge and skills related to pre-analytical phase of testing. Prepares specimens for analysis in assigned section(s).
- Documents and appropriately follows up on specimen integrity issues. Communicates with Dispatch to facilitate recollect, if required.
- Demonstrates a working knowledge of the utilization of hospital and laboratory information systems to which the associate has access.
- Complies with all policies regarding the operation and security of the laboratory’s information system assets.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
- Maintains specimen collection area and equipment to ensure productive use of central processing area.
- Contributes to and participate in Phlebotomy education.
- Follows infection control guidelines
Required Education and Experience
High school diploma or equivalent education.
Required Licensure and Certifications
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Training
Phlebotomy, specimen collection skills. Adequate conversational English is required in order that the individual be able to take direction from management, understand how to complete job tasks, communicate adequately with patients and co-workers as necessary, understand and follow safety guidelines, and organizational policies. Critical thinking and troubleshooting skills. Hospital and laboratory information systems.
Previous experience in a healthcare setting and knowledge of Microsoft Windows and Microsoft Office is preferred. Certification from nationally accredited agency.
Map this location
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.Click Here >
Join our Talent Community so you can stay connected and be alerted to future opportunities.Sign Up
No recently viewed jobs
You have no saved Jobs