Nurse Intern ICU
The nurse extern will gain experience in a realistic professional nursing work environment by assisting the delivery of both direct and indirect nursing care under the direction and supervision of a registered nurse within the scope of practice of unlicensed, assistive personnel.
Saint Joseph East is a 217-bed full-service community hospital located in the rapidly growing southeastern section of Lexington Kentucky. We provide care for patients in Fayette and surrounding counties. At Saint Joseph East ambulatory surgery 24-hour emergency care and women’s health services are supported through a vast array of inpatient and outpatient program. Additional specialty services include Heart Care Breast Care Sleep Care and Weight Loss Surgery. CHI Saint Joseph Health supports 5000 active employees 8 hospitals specialty clinics and a Medical Group with more than 200 locations across Central and Eastern KY. CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health in 2019. With our combined resources CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy communities advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable and innovating how and where healing can happen both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
Essential Key Job Responsibilities
Performs clinical procedures in a competent manner, following appropriate policies and procedures, under the direction of a Registered Nurse.
- Obtains vital signs, intake and output, accuchecks and thernocouples and documents per unit protocol
- Obtains blood and blood products from the blood bank. May assist in identifying blood prior to administration.
- Assists with trach care, suctioning, G-tube and feeding tube insertions and maintenance, and simple/complex dressing changes.
- Assists physician before, during and after procedures within facility and unit guidelines.
- Demonstrates knowledge related to age appropriate behavior of children, adolescents, adults, and seniors to assess the growth and development of the patient.
- Provides routine and procedural hygiene needs.
- Assists in meeting patients activity needs
- Obtains specime4ns as directed
- Assist/performs post-mortem care. Provides emotional support patients and assists with monitoring recovery from any procedures.
- Communicates effectively with all members of the health care team
- Maintains complete patient confidentiality
- Reports changes in patient’s condition of other pertinent data to RN immediately
- Assists with patient and family education, as appropriate
Quality and safety:
- Attends shift huddles and in-services, as appropriate
- Demonstrates safe and proper use of equipment
- Uses personal protective equipment and complies with all universal precautions and bloodborne pathogens regulations
- Cleans and checks for malfunctioning of stretchers, wheelchairs, bedside commodes, and I.V. poles according to unit protocol.
- Identifies and immediately reports any actual potential hazard observed in the hospital environment.
- Demonstrates knowledge of all safety and emergency codes
- Dresses professionally and wears name badge at all times
- Performs AIDET before any patient and family interactions
Actively participates in all Nurse Extern activities.
Required Education for Staff Job Levels
Currently enrolled (3.0 GPA or higher) and has completed at least one year in an accredited School of Nursing and has completed at least one medical surgical clinical rotation.
Required Licensure and Certifications
Map this location
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.Click Here >
Join our Talent Community so you can stay connected and be alerted to future opportunities.Sign Up
No recently viewed jobs
You have no saved Jobs