Labor & Delivery Nurse
Partnering for a stronger, healthier world.
At CommonSpirit Health, we believe in the healing power of humanity. We invite you to explore our specialty areas and pursue a career in humankindness.
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Department: Labor And Delivery Services
- Hours/Pay Period: 72
As our Labor & Delivery Nurse, at Mercy Hospital in Council Bluffs, you’ll guide patients through the labor and childbirth process, focusing on the safety of the mother and baby, with kindness and compassion.
As a nurse in this department, you will have varying roles and responsibilities. You may work in Obstetrics - triaging patients or perform screening exams on walk-ins or you may guide patients through a routine induction and delivery. You'll be busy monitoring the mother’s dilation progress while also keeping close watch on the baby’s fetal heart rate; providing updates and support to the patient’s partner and loved ones.
To thrive in this role, you’ll need to appreciate that routine is never routine. We have some wonderful days and get to be with people through huge milestones in their lives. We also have some hard days and are with people as they grieve. You must be sensitive and understanding, and above all else, you must remain calm in an emergency. You’re calm. You’re in control. You’re handling the situation.
- Mercy Hospital, which features comprehensive acute care and behavioral health services, received a 5 Star Ranking by CMS for the past two consecutive years.
- Our facility has been Magnet Designated 3 times by the American Nurse Credentialing Center.
- We offer State-of-the-Art Surgical Robots,Emergency and Trauma Services, Behavioral Health, Designated Stroke Unit, Maternity Center with Special Care Nursery, and Cancer Care.
As a Registered Nurse, you will be responsible for delivering the highest quality patient care according to the specific orders of each patient’s individual physician. This will involve, utilizing your knowledge and skills to educate patients and their families on prevention and healthy habits.
What You'll Do
- Triage walk-ins to determine if a patient is in labor, water is broken, false alarm, etc.
- Support pregnant patients in labor including induction, epidural assistance (if needed), general pain management and fetal monitoring.
- Educate patients on various interventions or procedures, medications (name and purpose), exams, and labor stages.
- Assess newborns and provide care.
- Communicate with the care management team, including anesthesiologist, physician or midwife, lactation nurse, charge nurse, postpartum unit, patient and family.
We are offering a $10,000 Sign on Bonus and up to $10,000 in student loan repayment assistance to new hires who meet the following eligibility requirements.
- Current Registered Nurse (RN) license that allows you to practice in our state
- Graduate of an accredited nursing program
- One year of RN experience preferred
- Basic Life Support (BLS) required
- Specialty certification (ex: CCRN, CNOR, CEN) preferred, NRP required within 5 months of hire, etc.
- Additional certification or licensure may be required
While you’re busy impacting the healthcare industry, we’ll take care of you with benefits that include health/dental/vision, FSA, matching retirement plans, paid vacation, adoption assistance, and more!
starts with you.
Are you a career fit with our CommonSpirit Health culture? To understand how we are structured, we believe in some core philoosophies with the following:
We will be stronger together, achieving excellence in all we do, collaborating across the fields and growing our collective knowledge.
We will let humankindness guide us as we treat every person with hollistic, persaonalized care for the bod, mind and spirit.
We will advance the science and art of nursing as innovative leaders who demonstrate the power of evidence-based, compassionate care. If you believe in working together with humankindness for all to advance the science and art of nursing - thne you have found your career fit with us!
“Our hope is that you will always feel inspired, knowing you truly are the heart and soul of CommonSpirit.”– Kathleen D. Sanford, EVP, Chief Nursing Officer
Your Possible Career Path
This is a snapshot of your potential career path highlights the series of job positions that help you progress towards your goals and objectives. Ultimately, your career path depends on your career values and personal goals.
What makes a successful Labor & Delivery Nurse at CHI Health Mercy Council Bluffs
Our Total Reward Offerings
At CommonSpirit Health, your Total Rewards package includes compensation, benefits, retirement, wellness, leave, and other programs. Please explore what we have to offer below.
Pay and Recognition
Map this location
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.Click Here >
No recently viewed jobs
You have no saved Jobs
Get tailored job recommendations based on your interests.Get Started