The posted compensation range of $76.92 - $123.07 /hour is a reasonable estimate that extends from the lowest to the highest pay CommonSpirit in good faith believes it might pay for this particular job, based on the circumstances at the time of posting. CommonSpirit may ultimately pay more or less than the posted range as permitted by law.
Job available in additional locations
- US-CO-ENGLEWOOD | US-CA-Rancho Cordova | US-CA-Glendale | US-TX-Houston | US-AZ-Phoenix |
CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health. With more than 700 care sites across the U.S. from clinics and hospitals to home-based care and virtual care services CommonSpirit is accessible to nearly one out of every four U.S. residents. Our world needs compassion like never before. Our communities need caring and our families need protection. With our combined resources CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy communities advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable and innovating how and where healing can happen both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
**This is a remote position that will primarily suppot the Hospital Operations business.**
Job Summary / Purpose
The Specialty Senior Counsel provides direct, specialty-specific, high-level legal services and serves as a specialty-specific thought-leader and trusted advisor to one or more designated CommonSpirit national groups, as well as to CommonSpirit’s operating divisions, working independently and with minimal supervision, in a manner consistent with CommonSpirit’s mission, vision, and values. Specialty areas may include: Clinical Research, Compliance, E-Discovery, Employment/Labor, Home Health, Long Term Care, Information Technology, Intellectual Property, Managed Care/Payer Strategy, Physician Relations, Real Estate, Transactions, or other specialties as identified.
Essential Key Job Responsibilities
- Perform direct, consistent, high-level legal services for, represent, and support CommonSpirit in connection with one or more specialty areas at the system or division level. Direct legal services will include, but not be limited to: preparation, review, and revision of complex specialty-related contracts and arrangements (using templates adopted by the Legal Team, as appropriate); development of specialty-specific policies, protocols, and guidelines; lead or serve on specialty-related interdisciplinary workgroups; oversight of specialty-specific internal and governmental reviews, investigations, and audits; performance of due diligence and assistance with transaction integration matters associated with specialty; preparation, review, and revision of specialty-related government/accreditation body notices, reports, filings, and other documents with legal implications; and provision of general legal counsel and specialty-specific advice.
- Enhance subject matter expertise in assigned specialty area(s) in support of business owners’ needs and Legal Team’s work, serving as a legal subject matter expert capable of providing sophisticated legal advice and counsel, and acting as a liaison, as needed or requested, to system or division level leadership, management, boards, and committees, as well as to other members of the Legal Team. Develop knowledge of other health care laws applicable to CommonSpirit.
- Actively engage and coordinate with other Legal Team members, as needed, for effective delivery of specialty legal services across the enterprise.
- Supervise, direct, manage, and collaborate with junior attorneys, paralegals, executive assistants, and other Legal Team support staff.
- Manage and evaluate outside counsel engaged to provide specialty-specific legal support.
- Prepare, review, and revise corporate documents (e.g., articles of incorporation and bylaws) and assist with internal CommonSpirit approval processes (e.g., Governance Matrix, Approval and Signature Authority Policy, etc.) related to specialty area(s).
- Manage and assist with specialty-specific litigation, administrative proceedings and other regulatory (including licensure and certification) proceedings or matters.
Education and Experience:
- Juris Doctor or equivalent degree from a law school accredited by the American Bar Association. Health law or specialty professional education, or equivalent experience (preferred).
- Minimum of eight (8) years’ legal work experience either with a law firm or in-house legal department involving the performance of general, operational, or specialty legal services for hospitals, health systems, medical foundations or groups, clinics, providers, health care delivery organizations, or integrated delivery systems.
- Active State Bar licensure, registration as in-house counsel, or equivalent acceptable status for state of primary work location.
Required Minimum Knowledge, Skills, Abilities and Training
- Strong decision-making skills and judgment with the ability to handle difficult and complex issues
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong drafting skills suitable to more complex and sophisticated matters
- Understanding of and ability to adhere to confidentiality obligations
- Effective and collegial interpersonal skills; ability to perform legal functions with integrity and consistent with CommonSpirit’s mission, vision, and values
- Ability to work independently, manage a diverse workflow, and timely and effectively complete assigned work
- Possess an understanding of when to inform or advance legal issues to or seek input from Legal Team leadership
- Ability to use in-house and outside legal resources to accomplish work while achieving cost effectiveness
Map this location
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.Click Here >
Join our Talent Community so you can stay connected and be alerted to future opportunities.Sign Up
No recently viewed jobs
You have no saved Jobs