Phys Asst Trauma
Work Location: St. Joseph Regional Health Center - Bryan, TX
St Joseph is a member of CommonSpirit Health whose mission is to nurture the healing ministry of the church, supported by education and research. CommonSpirit is the largest Catholic healthcare system in the country with over 90,000 employees across the US. St Joseph Health System, based in Bryan, Texas for over 75 years, joined CommonSpirit in November of 2014 and is a proud member of the Texas Division. This large system is supported by over 1400 Advance Practice Clinicians which consist of APRNs (NPs, CRNAs, CNM, and CRNAs) and Physician Assistants.
Schedule: Shared coverage with 3 other Trauma APC’s. Rotating 7 days on/ 7 days off.
Job Summary: The Trauma APC will be based in St Joseph Regional Health’s Level 2 Trauma Center. This APC will partner with the Trauma Director and inter disciplinary team to provide best practice clinical management to trauma patients in the acute care setting. The Trauma APC will function autonomously but within the scope of practice consistent with their education, training, and experience delegated by the collaborative/supervising physician in an executed Prescriptive Authority Agreement in accordance with the scope of practice defined by the Texas Medical Board, Board of Nurse Examiners, and the Texas Board of Physician Assistants.
The APC will be a highly motivated and independent clinician who can function with autonomy in managing a caseload of critically ill patients with multi-organ trauma in accordance with evidence based protocols under the supervision of the Trauma Medical Director. Duties will include identification of educational and psycho-social needs of patients and families and initiating action to meet these needs. They will work independently and in collaboration with the Trauma Medical Director, and the Trauma Team. They will report to the Trauma Medical Director, and be responsible to the Director of Advance Practice, and the Trauma Program Manager
About CommonSpirit Health
CommonSpirit Health was formed by the alignment of Catholic Health Initiatives (CHI) and Dignity Health. With more than 700 care sites across the U.S. & from clinics and hospitals to home-based care and virtual care services CommonSpirit is accessible to nearly one out of every four U.S. residents. Our world needs compassion like never before. Our communities need caring and our families need protection. With our combined resources CommonSpirit is committed to building healthy communities advocating for those who are poor and vulnerable and innovating how and where healing can happen both inside our hospitals and out in the community.
Essential APC Core Competencies:
- Perform history and physical examinations including the ordering and interpretation of diagnostic studies to include laboratory, diagnostic imaging, and electrocardiographic examinations;
- Perform medical diagnosis and treatment for patients within the APC and collaborating/supervising physicians scope of practice;
- Manage acute , episodic, and stable chronic disease in population served;
- Consult with or initiate referral to appropriate physician or other health care provider for management of issues that exceed scope of practice or clinical privileges ;
- Prescribe medications and medical devices as authorized by the Texas Medical Board and Texas Board of Physician Assistants;
- Order therapeutic modalities such as medications, treatments, IV fluids and electrolytes, etc.;
- Provide primary health care maintenance of the population served, including immunizations;
- Counsel and instruct patients and significant others as appropriate on medications, disease, procedures, and preventive healthcare;
- Assess, stabilize, and determine disposition of patients with emergent conditions consistent with medical staff policy regarding emergency and consultative call services.
Core APC Hospital / Acute Privileges:
- Admit patients to the hospital on behalf of the physician/ write admission orders;
- Make daily rounds on hospitalized patients with or at the direction of the collaborating physician;
- Write discharge orders and summaries to be countersigned by the collaborating physician according to hospital policy ;
- Conduct face to face evaluation following initiation of restraints to verify need and approve continuation as delegated by a physician;
- Assess, stabilize, and determine disposition of patients with emergent conditions consistent with med staff policy regarding emergency and consultative call services.
- Perform the following procedures per the NCCPA Procedure Manual and/or St. Joseph Regional Health Center’s Trauma Protocols for the following procedures:
- Tube Thoracotomy /Removal,
- Drain Placement / Removal, Suturing,
- Performing De-cannulation of Tracheostomies,
- Arterial Catheter Insertion,
- Needle Thoracotomy,
- Peripherally Inserted Central Catheter,
- Central Line Placement,
Education and Certifications required:
- Current clinical competence and adequate volume of current experience documenting the ability to provide services at an acceptable level of quality and efficiency;
- 2 years’ experience in acute care (trauma and/or ICU);
- Hold national certification as an ACNP or PA from the AANP, ANCC, or NCCPA ;
- Current licensure from the Texas Physician Assistant Board;
- Current ATLS, ACLS, BLS certification
- Additional skills include ability to work independently with minimal supervision, effective communication and leadership skills, able to facilitate change. Orients to physician practice/ patient population including attending and participating in multi-disciplinary trauma rounds; participates in trauma orientation and education of staff and/or students to include CME, specialty and sub-specialty meetings; participate in and support accreditation, compliance, and regulatory activities of the organization; participates in trauma performance improvement activities and assist with follow up of incidental findings for trauma patients;
Map this location
Get an idea of what your daily routine can be like.Click Here >
Join our Talent Community so you can stay connected and be alerted to future opportunities.Sign Up
No recently viewed jobs
You have no saved Jobs